Thursday, January 24, 2008

Still considering seeing another vet for a 2nd Opinion





I have not been online for a while due to tending to my little boy Scrappy. On Christmas morning I ended up rushing him to the vet because he could not walk he would only drag himself along the bed and floor. The vet thinks it is a slipped disc in his back and had put him on pretizone (sp). He seems to be more lively and gets around but just is not himself and still seems to be showing signs of soreness. (if only dogs could talk) I am really looking into get a 2nd opinion because the vet is just trying to diagnose this by visually looking at him, has not taken an xray.


I am praying he does not need to have surgery and if he does that the surgery will really help. Please let me know what your opinions are on this if you have any.


Time to chase off to bed, 1am comes real soon!


Love,

Krista, Scrappy, and Bailey


5 comments:

Ness said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

Your dachsiebabies are ADORABLE!

Our Katie, which is my youngest daughter's dachsie had to have back surgery right after we got her. She was a rescue who was very overweight. The surgery was a great success and she's about 8 years out now from surgery and doing grand. It is important to find a vet that does ortho surgery on dachsies. If you need any help finding one, let me know.

Hope to see you visiting again soon. I will be back here!

Hugs to you and the dachsies!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I would get xrays - sounds like the problem can be fixed if diagnosed correctly. The medicine may only be masking the real problem.

Your pups are adorable - we have 2 doxies too!

Stop by my blog to see their pics!

Hallie

Roxie, Sammy, Andy and Shermie said...

We love your fur-kids! Please get a second opinion. Dachsies need special care - especially for their backs - and there is so much that can be done for them.

BTW ... we are three dachsies!

Roxie, Sammy & Andy

Lorenza said...

A second opinion is a good idea. I hope the problem is fixed soon!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

The Zoo Crew said...

I would most definitely get a second opinion!!! I have always been owned by dachshunds and two of them had back problems. Clea, who died this past March, had two slipped disks in her back and unfortunately, the vet wasn't very proactive. She was on prednisone and strict crate rest for several weeks prior to me getting frustrated with her progress. We then found a great surgeon on our area and she was evaluated by him. Her exact problem was diagnosed by a myelogram; then she has surgery. The surgery was a complete success and she lived a very full 8.5 years after her surgery. My other dachsie's back problems weren't nearly as severe and prednisone did help her and she didn't require surgery. I also fostered a paralyzed dachsie who was in a cart and I had to diaper around the clock. If you have any questions, please contact me!

Shannon
(The Zoo Crew's mama)